Ego-Media: Online Mass Observation/DiaryBox
REC Reference Number: LRS14/151306
We would like to invite you to participate in this original research project. You should only participate if you want to; choosing not to take part will not disadvantage you in any way. Before you decide whether you want to take part, it is important for you to understand why the research is being done and what your participation will involve. Please take time to read the following information carefully and discuss it with others if you wish. Ask us if there is anything that is not clear or if you would like more information.
The aim of this project is to study the impact of new media, such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, phone apps and user forums, on autobiographical narratives. People’s habits and practices of self-presentation are evolving fast in response to constantly fast-changing technology. We want to understand how people present themselves online.
The project is part of a larger study funded by the European Research Council.
We are recruiting adults over the age of 17.
If you agree to take part in this research, we will ask you to contribute to our website. On the site we may ask you to respond to questions or prompts we have about what social media you use, how and when you use these media, and what benefits you feel you get from your activities online. You don’t have to respond to every question or prompt and there is no right or wrong answer – we simply want to find out about your habits online and how these habits relate to your sense of identity.
Please do not post anything that includes images of, or personal information about, other people.
We do not think there are any risks to you taking part in this research study. Everything you post to the DiaryBox will be kept confidential and all data will be anonymous.
The results of the study will be published in journals, presented at conferences and be made available online on the Ego-Media website.
It is completely your choice whether or not to take part in our research study. In fact, if you do decide to take part, you are free to withdraw from the study at any time and you do not have to give a reason for your withdrawal.
If you have any questions or require more information about this study, please contact us using the following contact details:
If this study has harmed you in any way or if you wish to make a complaint about the conduct of the study you can contact King's College London using the details below for further advice and information: The Chair, Arts & Humanities Research Ethics Panel, King’s College London, Franklin Wilkins Bldg, 5.9 Waterloo Bridge Wing, Waterloo Road, London, SE1 9NH
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for reading this information sheet and for considering taking part in this research. If you are willing to proceed, please tick that you have read the terms and conditions and continue to the next page.
1. I confirm that I have read and understood the terms and conditions for the above study. I have had the opportunity to consider the information and asked questions which have been answered satisfactorily.
2. I understand that my participation is voluntary and that I am free to withdraw at any time without giving any reason. Furthermore, I understand that I will be able to withdraw my data up to the time of transcription.
3. I consent to the processing of my personal information for the purposes explained to me. I understand that such information will be handled in accordance with the terms of the UK Data Protection Act 1998.
4. I understand that my information may be subject to review by responsible individuals from the College for monitoring and audit purposes.
5. I understand that confidentiality and anonymity will be maintained and it will not be possible to identify me in any publications
6. I agree that the research team may use my data for future research and understand that any such use of identifiable data would be reviewed and approved by a research ethics committee. (In such cases, as with this project, data would not be identifiable in any report).
7. I understand that I must not take part if I fall under the exclusion criteria as detailed in the information sheet.